The Devil Within Her (1975)




I've been invited by Barry at https://cinematiccatharsis.blogspot.com/ and Gill at https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/ to participate in their Donald Pleasence Blogathon and I'm happy to present the delightfully campy horror classic, The Devil Within Her. Or you might know it as I Don't Want to be Born, The Monster, or Sharon's Baby. Take your pick because this film has an endless amount of titles and it had no less than four release dates. If you're asking yourself why, your guess is as good as mine. Surprisingly, this movie does have an all star cast with Hammer favorite Ralph Bates as Gino Carlesi, Eileen Atkins as Sister Albana, the legendary Dame Joan Collins in the lead role as Lucy Carlesi, and Donald Pleasence as Dr. Finch. Caroline Munro also co-stars as Lucy's friend and confidante, Mandy Gregory. One of the most memorable and important roles goes to George Claydon as a dwarf named Hercules who curses Lucy to give birth to a demonic child as big as he is small. And all of this occurs because she *checks notes* refused his sexual advances. Proof that incel culture was alive and thriving in 1975. Anyway, Hercules is not one to trifle with because Lucy indeed has a little demon baby who hates prayers, bites fingers, and packs one helluva mean punch. This tiny tot continues his reign of terror until things eventually turn deadly and Lucy, along with Sister Albana, must take action to stop his violent rage. 




Since we're here to discuss Donald Pleasence, I won't go into much more detail about the plot but there might be some mild spoilers. To be perfectly honest though, does it matter? No one is watching this film for its riveting dialogue or Oscar worthy performances. We're here to see a little demon baby wreak havoc on whoever crosses its path. Of course, Joan Collins is fabulous as always and Donald Pleasence is a joy to watch as the bald and beady-eyed (described as such in Roger Ebert's 1 1/2 star review) doctor who declares that this child does not want to be born. Even when he asks if everything is alright, he delivers the line with an ominous tone that harbors some mysterious undertone of secrecy. No Donald, everything is not alright and you know it. 

For all of its problematic themes and, let me tell you, there's plenty, The Devil Within Her has some eerie and surreal imagery. Collins does her best with these scenes and truly knows how to portray terror on the screen. When she discovers the truth about her baby, she is full of emotion and pain, embodying the fear that a new mother feels when she doesn't understand how to help her child. She desperately wants to change these terrible circumstances surrounding her child's birth and she knows she must seek assistance. Her first hope is with Dr. Finch who, as I've stated before, knows something is wrong. Pleasence never gives up in his pursuit to find out what's gone wrong with the birth and why this child never wanted to be born in the first place. The determination he shows in this film and the relentlessness with which he pursues the truth is something that we'll see later in John Carpenter's Halloween. If Dr. Loomis is the definitive role of his career, Dr. Finch is the precursor to it. Sure, in this role, he's a bit inept, and not quite up to par but let's give credit where credit's due. Even a store brand, generic Dr. Loomis performance has its merits. 






I'm afraid that our favorite justice seeking doctor meets his demise at the hands of demon child (who probably still complains about Damien getting all of the credit for being the most evil child ever) and Lucy is left alone to fend for herself. As unfortunate as it is that his efforts were in vain, at least no one can say that he didn't try. Dr. Finch, in his unwavering tenacity, never gave up. And isn't that the most important thing? I mean our teachers always told us in school that you get an A for effort, although that was a lie because everyone knows that, at best, you were getting a C minus. But I digress...

This multi-named film was never going to win any awards but it definitely has an appeal to those of us that appreciate the "so bad it's good" type. Critics have used words such as abominable, ludicrous, vulgar, and unholy to describe it. As many of us know, nothing appeals to fans of cult flicks more than descriptions like this. If you're trying to sell a movie to people who love watching stupidity like this, then congratulations on a job well done. I'm proud to be one of those degenerates who rots my brain by watching movies like The Devil Within Her. Furthermore, I truly do appreciate class acts like Donald Pleasence and Joan Collins slumming it in roles not fit for their abilities. If it sounds like I'm being harsh, it's not my intention at all. My point is I absolutely love this stuff. I love seeing actors and actresses performing the hell out of these roles in low brow films and bringing to life a character that would be otherwise unwatchable. This is the legacy that Donald Pleasence leaves us. He was an actor who could give his all to the most banal roles and play them with conviction. For that reason, I'm a lifelong fan. Now, go add this one to your watchlist, sit back, and enjoy the lunacy!
Side note: In regards to the title, Sharon's Baby, who the hell is Sharon??? Someone's gotta have an answer.

Comments

  1. Loved your indepth look at Pleasence's role and for bringing this to the blogathon - it really is a treat. What I want to know is why put Ralph Bates in a nun's habit.. maybe you can help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question about Bates but I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Thank you for reading! I had so much fun participating in the blogathon.

      Delete
  2. This movie is both terrifying and campy...have seen it three or four times but now thanks to your review need to see it again. Pleasance as always adds a properly menacing air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! I have seen it several times too and his performance is always enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. A very entertaining review! "store brand, generic Dr. Loomis" made me laugh. :) I can't believe I haven't seen this, but I'm definitely adding to my watchlist. With a cast like that, how can I lose? Thanks a million for joining our little blogathon, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I had a great time watching this again and reviewing it Barry so the pleasure is mine. It's on YouTube if you want to check it out:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4UpC4Oe-Kw Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  4. "We're here to see a little demon baby wreak havoc on whoever crosses its path." Exactly! I'm fully onboard. I'm with you in that seeing talent like Pleasence and Collins give earnest performances in cheesey horror makes me happy. Fun review, Amber. Now if only I could find this streaming somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael! Thanks for reading and sorry for the late reply. You can find it on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4UpC4Oe-Kw I hope this helps and I'm so glad you enjoyed my review!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts